Sunday, August 3, 2008

All is well...

in Red Sox Nation. Carry on...

Great weekend!! T-dance yesterday, shopping in Ogunquit, got my tires rotated (yes, this was very good!), breakfast with an old friend, some knitting, lot's of baseball...that about sums it up. Oh! And new recipe...kind of a random creation mine and a combination of CSA and Manchester Farmers Market. It needs a name!! I had in mind making a sort of turnip hash, and the obvious name would be - Trash - but who would want to make that??

Ingredients

5 small - medium turnips
1/2 medium sweet onion, diced
1 garlic scape, or 1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 head cabbage, diced
1 tsp thyme
2 tbsp butter
olive oil

Cut up turnip into 1" chunks. Boil until mushy (think: mashed potatoes consistency), about 20 min. Drain. Mash.

In a wok or skillet, heat 1 - 2 tbsp olive oil oil. Saute' onion for 5 minutes or so. Add garlic. Cook a few minutes more. Add cabbage. Add thyme, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook until cabbage is soft. Add butter. Cook a few more minutes.
Add turnip. Smoosh (very technical cooking term) mixture as though you were cooking hash browns. Add more butter, or not, to taste. Cook until browned to your liking.

This was so yummy. i had no idea what to do with turnips, other than make soup, and I don't really eat soup in the summer (except for Friday when I had lunch at the Seedling Cafe in Nashua and had a (huge) cup of pumpkin walnut soup - yummmmmm!) so I just kind of improvised and the results are amazing!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yummy, the Trash sounds good! I love turnip, but rarely buy it.

You better tell me that you were in Ogunquit today when you knew I'd be leaving town and that's why you didn't give me a call when you were so close!