Monday, April 14, 2008

Long Night

Update:

Last night:


Today:




Good thing I had a long nap this afternoon. Right now I am listening to the sound of every fire truck the city has working on a house fire in the neighborhood over at the house I call the tenement. Around 11 I was watching the Sox/Yankees game (what sles would I be doing?) and I hear alot of shouting outside. I muted the tv and then started hearing sirens. Lots of them. I looked out the window in my bedroom and I can plainly see the tenement is on fire, flames shooting out onto one of the porches. The good news is that everyone, including pets, got out ok. The bad news is that there are alot of little kids living in that building. I hope they have places to go to tonight. I just came in a little while ago. I'm pretty rattled.
When I was a little kid, my parents were what I call fire chasers. We'd be out in the car, and fire engines would go by and we would follow them to the f ire. It scared the crap out of me. I would get left in the car while my parents went off to watch. I had horrible nightmares about fires growing up. I know, I'm a grown up now. But I was out there talking to my neighbors and my little heart was racing. I'm going to have a glass of wine, finish watching the game (I paused it before I went outside) and then I will probably stay up and work for a few hours. It's too loud to get any sleep, at least in my bedroom which is in the front of the house.
What a way to start the week! Those poor people, I mean they are people who have nothing to start with and now this. I feel helpless. The Red Cross came and I know they will get what they need, at least in the short-term.

3AM update: Here is a link to the story at the Union Leader. The fire trucks have left. but there is still activity over there. It looks like the police are letting people in to get personal things, and there are alot of lights shining on the building.

The Sox won. I've been logged into work for the past few hours getting some work done, and soon I will try and get some sleep. I am grateful for a warm safe home tonight.

4 comments:

Jackie said...

Those poor people. Thank goodness everyone is safe.

Gina House said...

Where was this again? Next door or across the street? How scary. I had a house I was living in when I was little burn down and it was so traumatic. I hope all those families are safe. Keep us updated.

Anonymous said...

How terrible for those families and scary for you. Hope you were able calm those memories. Marion

Gigi said...

So scary. I'm glad they and you are safe!