Monday, May 12, 2008

Do you know Carolina?

True: My phone rings at 11:07 pm Saturday...

Me: Hello?
Mans Voice on Phone: Is this Melissa Riley?
Me: (pause) who's calling
MVOP: Manchester Police
Me: (heart skips a beat or 2) This is Melissa
MVOP: We're wondering if you have any information on how to reach Carolina Homespun
Me: (does this Officer knit? am I in trouble for buying those knitting needles today? I truly needed them to make the hat to match the sweater I made for CJs baby). um...they were at the Sheep and Wool Festival today...I made a purchase from them (oh great, did that just sound like I bought heroin or something - "made a purchase" - what was I thinking, I am so screwed) and I think I have a receipt here, let me see if there is a number on it. (Said receipt just happens to be right there on my coffee table.)
Me: No, there is no number on here, just an address
MVOP: Do you know if she is staying in town? She had something stolen from her today and we are trying to contact her.
Me: (did I fall asleep and I'm having a weird dream because I spent too much money on wool today?) Carolina Homespun is a business, not a person. They are at the NH Sheep and Wool Festival this weekend. I purchased some knitting needles from them today. Would you like me to go on-line and see if I can find a phone number for you?
MVOP: No ma'am, that's not necessary, we will contact her. Good night.

Wow. Sad to say, what happened is that at the end of the day on Saturday, someone did indeed steal the cash box from Carolina Homespun. Unbelievable. People who vend at these fairs, they are trying to make a living doing what they love. How sad that someone in NH has tarnished our reputation that way. Anyway, I read on Ravelry today that the box was recovered, minus the cash, all that was there were checks and credit card receipts. I paid with a check. I'm glad I did. People stealing from the little guy is just wrong!

4 comments:

Gigi said...

How horrible! Here's hoping most of their sales were in checks and cc...

Mel said...

Crap! Morgaine's good people, too, and festivals like that are a huge portion of her income.

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure how I would have reacted a phone call like that in the middle of the night! (I know 11:00 is not the middle of the night for normal people, but I never claimed to be normal).

I think it just sucks that this happened.

Gina House said...

I can't believe that! OMG...I can't even imagine getting that phone call. I'd be wondering if the knitting police had found out how many shawls I'm knititng that are unfinished!! LOL!