Sunday, January 24, 2010

Comfort Food

Mac and cheese. The ultimate comfort food, no? If you have ever had my homemade mac and cheese, you have most likely ended up proposing marriage to me. Which I politely decline, because a marriage based on my mac and cheese will only end up with us both on Inside Edition as they cut us out of our home weighing 500+ lbs each. Trust me. There are a month's worth of fat grams in that recipe. And every artery clogging bite is heaven.

I think it has been 2 years at least since I have made that. I've found a MUCH less artery clogging meal that serves as comfort food. I made me some tonight, because I'm kind of in a bad mood. Aggravated. Mainly at myself. Planets must not be aligned right or something. Anyway, the following is something I have adapted from a Campbell's soup recipe. You can find on the back of the Cream of Mushroom Soup can (full fat version). Here is my version...

Kind of Like Pasta Alfredo - 4 servings

2 boneless chicken breasts (optional - I often take this to vegetarian pot lucks and use a tone of veggies)
1/2 box Penne pasta (or pasta of your choice - doesn't matter)
1 can 98% fat free Cream of Mushroom soup. (I buy store brand)
1 - 2 oz. freshly grated parmesan cheese. (or use 1/4 - 1/2c of the already grated crap)
4 oz. fresh mushrooms
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter
1/4 c skim milk

Boil water for pasta. Cook pasta according to package directions, adding the broccoli to the last 4 minutes of cooking time.
Drain pasta and broccoli.
When 4 minutes are left on
Heat olive oil over medium high heat.
Add chicken and saute until cooked. Remove.
Melt butter in same pan. Add mushrooms and cook until they begin to brown.
Add the can of soup and the milk.
Increase heat and stir until bubbly.
Add parmesan cheese, stirring constantly until melted.
Add in pasta, broccoli and chicken. Stir well.
Cover and reduce heat to low for 10 minutes.


1 comment:

Lora said...

OH This sounds like something I'll try one day. Sounds good!