Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Politically Incorrect

I'm not really in to politics. I suppose that is kind of a bad thing. I do vote. But I don't go and listen to the candidates speak, or pay much attention to more than the headlines. This morning I hear that the *Shrub vetoed a bill that would fund the renewal of the State Children's Health Insurance Program, on the grounds that it was too much like socialized medicine. God forbid we should embrace a socialized medicine program in this country. Why not? I have received health care in 2 countries that have a socialized medical program - Canada and the UK. In both instances I had to pay for my doctor visits. I both cases I expected to be charged hundreds of dollars. In both cases I was charged a very reasonable fee, much less that what it would have cost me for a doctor's visit in the country, without health insurance. And there have been times in my life when I have been without health insurance, so I know what I'm talking about. I just don't get it.

The other thing I just don't get are the people who stand at busy intersections holding signs for the candidate they endorse while they wave. Is that supposed to make me want to vote for your candidate? Because it doesn't. I also don't get the whole calling voters and asking them to vote for a certain candidate. It seems like a waste of time and money. But that's just me. I vote for the person I like the most, based on a rather randomly exact formula I have used - a combination of what my gut tells me and a little bit of information. Now, I will vote, and I have already made my choice on who will get my vote. But honestly, if that candidate doesn't win, anyone will be better than that Shrub.

So I am home watching my boys get ready to play Game 1 of the ALDS. No knitting for me tonight (I know, 2 weeks in a row!!) but I just couldn't bear to miss the game. And once we get past the World Series, I will be back in the Wednesday night swing to get me through the winter until the Boys come back in April.

Going to attempt to make some progress on my Lilac sock tonight. I did manage to get the Forest Canopy Shawl back in sync and will work on that some more this weekend. I seem to do best working on it first thing in the morning while I'm having my coffee, and definitely can't work on it while watching TV or talking. I'm really wanting to start some new projects - I have some DK weight Peace Fleece that wants to be socks, the Endpaper Mitts that I'm making as a surprise for someone, another Booga Bag (need to get the yarn for that though) and I also want to cast on for Cozy. Oh yeah, and there is my sweater that I haven't touched in months because it is too hot to knit a sweater. Yup, it's October 3rd at 6:38 pm and the temperature is 73 and it's very humid. I'm glad I never got around to putting the fans away last weekend. This has been the warmest fall I can ever remember. I haven't worn any long sleeves yet!

k, off to watch the game...

*my name for our current president

2 comments:

Laurin said...

I got this obnoxious comment from Ms. Ripley too - luckily I approve all comments so it's sitting in limbo. How rude to clutter your blog like this!!

As for the Scrub - yeah, I know what YOU call him - I will be so happy to see his Tex-ass hit the road too. But as for the rest of the political game, I ain't into it either.

See you next Wednesday!

Sheepish Annie said...

The sign carriers drive me crazy! Back when I was teaching in an Alternative Ed. Program, I also had to drive the van for field trips and such. They even came at me in the school van!! Very, very close and happily waving signs at me! I was driving what amounted to a school bus for heaven's sake! Sheesh...needless to say, I didn't vote for their candidate.