Monday, July 14, 2008

CSA Week 1

So I want to keep a blog of the CSA each week and recipes we come up with. I'm too lazy to create a separate blog, so if you're not interested, just move along :o)

Wow. I can't believe how much my eating, cooking and shopping habits have changed in a few months. Saturday we made the first pick-up at the CSA.

What we got:
Kale
Pac Choi
Beets
Carrotts
Lettuce
Garlic Scapes
Radishes
Yellow Squash
Zucchini
Pickling Cukes
Salad with the lettuce, radishes and cukes

First recipe:

Sauted Greens

1/2 bunch kale
greens from 1 bunch beets
1 garlic scape or 1 clove garlic, chopped
1/2 pkg mushrooms
4 oz bacon, coarsely chopped (can use turkey bacon or veggie bacon)
1/2c chicken broth (or veggie)
1 Tbsp fresh thyme

Remove stems from kale and greens. Rinse. Add to a large pot of boiling water and cook for 6 minutes. Drain.
In wok, cook bacon until done, but not crisp. Remove from pan with slotted spoon and drain on paper towel.
Saute mushrooms in bacon fat (there won't be that much). Add garlic scape or garlic. Cook for 6 minutes. Add greens, bacon, broth and thyme. Cook for approx 6 minutes or until broth reduces.

It.Was.Amazing.

If anyone told me 6 months ago that I would be eating greens and loving it, yeah, hahahaha...

So me and Cindi are going to take turns coming up with ideas each week for cooking with the stuff we get, and posting our recipes here.

Plans for the rest of the haul are:
Juicing the beets with carrot and celery
Using the pac coi and carrots in a stir fry
Steaming the yellow squash and zucchini

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds yummy! I'm looking forward to reading what recipes you come up with each week.

Gina House said...

Mmmm....all that talk about fresh garden food is making me hungry!

Jackie said...

YUM!!